Ghana FA President Nyantakyi Resigns Amidst Bribery Allegations

SUBSCRIBE on Youtube:

The Ghana Football Association has announced the resignation of Kwesi Nyantakyi as president of the FA. Nyantakyi made this decision after a meeting of the Executive Committee of the Association on Friday, reports.

Nyantakyi said in a statement sent to the GFA General Secretary on Friday which reads, “After a meeting of the Executive Committee this afternoon I decided to resign as President of the Ghana Football Association.

“It stemmed out of the controversies generated by the investigative report of Tiger Eye PI. In the said report I committed a series of errors of indiscretion. I gravely associated the highest office of the land – the presidency – with private discussions I had with “Scammers” who deceived me into thinking they were genuine persons interested in investing in our country.

“I hereby apologize unreservedly to the father of the Nation, H.E. Nana Akufo Addo, H.E. the Vice President, Dr. Mahamadu Bawumia, Hon. Ministers and Deputy Ministers of State for indiscretion in associating them with the private conversations on the video.

“I wish to clarify that at no time prior to or subsequent to any deliberations on the video did I consult, contact or inform any Government official about discussions on the video. I take sole and personal responsibility for the proceedings on the video.

“I wish to apologize to my family, work colleagues, friends, associates and the people of Ghana for the disappointment my indiscretion has caused them. This by no means is an admission of any other alleged wrongdoing in the video.”

The GFA then added that it would soon announce further developments on this situation.

Also on Friday the former Ghana FA boss was banned by FIFA from football activities for 90 days over the incident.

He was pictured taking $65,000 from an undercover reporter pretending to be a businessman. Nyantakyi is also the First Vice President of the Confederation of African Football and also a member of the FIFA Council.

It was the FIFA that Ghana Football Association Nyantakyi had stepped down as its president.

The provisional FIFA suspension comes into force “immediately” and can be extended by 45 days, FIFA said in a statement.

More sports news: